Current:Home > FinanceFastexy Exchange|Australia decides against canceling Chinese company’s lease of strategically important port -Capitatum
Fastexy Exchange|Australia decides against canceling Chinese company’s lease of strategically important port
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 09:27:26
CANBERRA,Fastexy Exchange Australia (AP) — The Australian government announced Friday it has decided not to cancel a Chinese company’s 99-year lease on strategically important Darwin Port despite U.S. concerns that the foreign control could be used to spy on its military forces.
The Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet said it decided after an investigation of the eight-year-old lease that current monitoring and regulation measures are sufficient to manage security risks for critical infrastructure such as the port in the northern garrison city of Darwin.
“Australians can have confidence that their safety will not be compromised while ensuring that Australia remains a competitive destination for foreign investment,” it said in a statement.
Landbridge Industry Australia, a subsidiary of Rizhao-based Shandong Landbridge Group, signed the lease with the debt-laden Northern Territory government in 2015. That was three years after U.S. Marines began annual rotations through Darwin as part of the U.S. pivot to Asia.
The United States has raised concerns that Chinese port access in Darwin would enhance intelligence gathering on nearby U.S. and Australian military forces.
Landbridge said in a statement it hopes the decision will end security concerns.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s center-left Labor Party was in opposition at the time, and he had argued the lease should never have been allowed due to security concerns.
After Labor won elections last year, Albanese directed his department to investigate whether the lease should be changed or canceled.
The Australian decision comes before Albanese flies to Washington, D.C., next week to meet President Joe Biden.
Albanese also plans to soon become the first Australian prime minister to visit China in seven years.
Neil James, chief executive of the Australian Defense Association think tank, said regulation cannot solve the security risk posed by Chinese control of the port.
“Our problem is going to be if there’s ever any increased strategic tension with China and if we have to do something, even if it’s regulatory, it’s going to be escalatory and make the tension worse,” James said.
“The only way to avoid this problem is not to have the lease in the first place and they should bite the bullet and get rid of it,” James added.
Landbridge far outbid 32 other potential private investors with a 506 million Australian dollar ($360 million) offer for the aging infrastructure, the provincial government based in Darwin said at the time.
A month after the deal was announced, then U.S. President Barack Obama chided then Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull during a meeting in the Philippines over a lack of consultation with the United States.
Obama told Turnbull that Washington should have been given a “heads up about these sorts of things,” The Australian Financial Review newspaper reported, citing unidentified sources.
“Let us know next time,” Obama was quoted as saying.
Turnbull told reporters the port’s privatization had not been a secret.
“The fact that Chinese investors were interested in investing in infrastructure in Australia is also hardly a secret,” Turnbull said.
“And under our legislation, the Department of Defense or this federal government can step in and take control of infrastructure like this in circumstances where it’s deemed necessary for purposes of defense,” Turnbull added.
The Defense Department and the Australian Security Intelligence Organization, the main domestic spy agency, have since publicly supported the contract, which was signed a year after Chinese President Xi Jinping visited Australia in a highwater mark in bilateral relations.
Relations have plummeted since, although there have been signs of stabilization since the current Australian government’s election.
A parliamentary committee recommended in 2021 that the then government consider restoring Australian control of the port if the lease were contrary to the national interest. The government responded by holding a review that found no grounds for ending the lease.
But the federal regulator of foreign ownership, the Foreign Investment Review Board, gained new powers to block similar deals in the future.
The board could not intervene in the Darwin Port deal because the asset was government-owned rather than privately owned and was leased rather than sold.
veryGood! (5347)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- The 2023 MTV Video Music Awards Nominations Are Finally Here
- Teen sisters have been missing from Michigan since June. The FBI is joining the search.
- Wild mushrooms suspected of killing 3 who ate a family lunch together in Australia
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Inside Pennsylvania’s Monitoring of the Shell Petrochemical Complex
- Bachelor Nation's Nick Viall and Fiancée Natalie Joy Are Expecting First Baby Together
- Elon Musk says fight with Mark Zuckerberg will stream live on X, formerly Twitter
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Murder charge against Texas babysitter convicted of toddler's choking death dismissed 20 years later
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Ukraine says woman held in plot to assassinate President Volodymyr Zelenskyy as airstrikes kill 3
- Musk said he'll pay legal costs for employees treated unfairly over Twitter
- Prosecutors drop charges against ex-Chicago officer who struggled with Black woman on beach
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- ‘Native American’ or ‘Indigenous’? Journalism group rethinks name
- 19 Shower Caddy Essentials You Need for Your Dorm
- Chris Noth Admits He Strayed From His Wife While Denying Sexual Assault Allegations
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Coyotes say they’ve executed a letter of intent to buy land for a potential arena in Mesa, Arizona
Biden to establish national monument preserving ancestral tribal land around Grand Canyon
Craving more aliens after congressional hearing? Here are 3 UFO docuseries on streaming
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Ex-Ohio bakery owner who stole dead baby's identity, $1.5M in COVID funds gets 6 years in prison
The toughest plastic bag ban is failing: A tale of smugglers, dumps and dying goats
3 men charged with assault in Montgomery, Alabama, boating brawl that went viral